Monday, April 16, 2012

While reading chapter 2 and chapter 13 of the assignment, I was struck by some thoughts.  The research mentioned no lack of funding for the initial implementation of technology, but sorely lacked in teacher follow through or follow up.  I sincerely hope we do not fall into this trap - as we implement ipads here.  It also mentioned the idea of design based research as their method of research.  I have since done a little research into this method.  I have to say I have been doing design-based research all along and didn't know it.  I adjust my methods and styles on the fly.  I do not wait until the end of the semester or until all the data has been collected to make adjustments in my teaching.
While I understand the arguments for and against this method, I would hope to find a good balance between being part of action research and design-based research.
I think I took from both the idea of reflection.  No matter what we do, we must think about the impact our teaching has on our students and how we can improve it.
For my project - using an online quiz web site - I want to do more reflection.  Yes, I will be collecting data on the use, engagement by students, etc., I also think I need to reflect on this at a deeper level as well.  The reasons I chose this, the impact of this choice on my students, will I use this next semester, etc.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment about the impact on the students'learning is paramount. Many teachers can get wrapped up in the product but not refelecting on what is happening with teaching and learning. Good luck with your online quiz web. I will follow this with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adria,

    I just wanted to mention that I'm impressed by your use of the blog. You're sharing and reflecting in the way that I think the blog was originally intended to be with this course.

    Good work!
    Dean

    ReplyDelete